ATTENDANCE AT TIMBERLEY ACADEMY
You promote good attendance through newsletters to parents and rewards for pupils. You take prompt action to support families when their children’s attendance begins to fall. As a result of the actions you and your leaders have taken, overall attendance is improving.- Ofsted June 2018.
In 2016 and 2017, the school’s rate for persistent absence was significantly higher than the national rate. You identified the reasons for this and have worked closely with other professionals to support parents experiencing difficulties. This has been very effective at reducing the rate of persistent absence so that it is now in line with the national figure. - Ofsted June 2018.
As a school we aim to:
- Maintain an attendance rate of a minimum of 96%
- Maintain parents’ and pupils’ awareness of the importance of regular attendance.
Good attendance is important because:
- Statistics show a direct link between under-achievement and poor attendance
- Regular attenders make better progress, both socially and academically
- Regular attenders find school routines and school work easier to cope with
- Regular attenders find learning more satisfying
- Regular attenders have an easier transfer to secondary school
As a parent you can help us by:
- Ringing on the first morning of all absences with the reason and saying when the child will return
- Arranging dental and doctor’s appointments out of school hours or during school breaks
- Sending in a note explaining the reason for absence on your child’s return to school after an illness
- Keeping us updated by telephone or letter if your child has an extended period of absence due to illness
- Follow up unexplained absences by phone calls and letters as soon as possible
- Remind parents of the importance of regular attendance and punctuality in newsletters
- Acknowledge and reward good attendance
- Publish your child’s attendance rate on her/his annual school report
- Let you know if we have concerns regarding your child’s attendance