What is PE and Sports Pupil Premium?
The Government is providing additional funding for schools to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools.
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport you offer.
This means that you should use the premium to:
- develop or add to the PE and sport activities that your school already offers
- build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
PURPOSE OF FUNDING:
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport but they have the freedom to chose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
- supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional Change4Life clubs
- paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and Sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and Sport
- running sports competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE or Sport
- providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and holiday clubs
- pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools
There are 5 key indicators that schools should expect to see improvement across:
- the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity - the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- the profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- increased participation in competitive sport